Speed dating in south wales
The town was recorded in the Domesday Book, and expanded thereafter.
There was early burgage development along Monnow Street, and the suburb of Overmonnow, west of the river and protected by a defensive moat called the Clawdd-du or Black ditch, began to develop by the 12th century.
In the mid 14th century, the castle and town came into the possession of the House of Lancaster through the marriage of John of Gaunt to Blanche of Lancaster.
John of Gaunt strengthened the castle, adding the Great Hall, and the castle became a favourite residence of the House of Lancaster.
A new castle was built at Monmouth, holding commanding views over the surrounding area from a sound defensive site and exerting control over both river crossings and the area's important resources of farmland, timber and minerals.
Initially it would have been a motte and bailey castle, later rebuilt in stone, and refortified and developed over time.
Monmouth's population in the 2011 census was 10,508, rising from 8,877 in 2001.
Oak timbers had been "skillfully" cut with stone or flint axes to form stilts, of posts and poles, which "probably" rested on three parallel fully-grown tree 'sleeper beams', up to 3 feet 3 inches (1 m) wide, laid horizontally on the lakebed.
Archaeologists have found Roman pottery and coins within the modern town centre.
During the later Roman period, between the 2nd and late 4th centuries, it appears to have been a centre for iron working, using the local iron ores and charcoal also worked at nearby Gobannium (Abergavenny) and Ariconium (near Ross-on-Wye).
During the period of turmoil between the supporters of King Henry III and the barons who sought to curtail his power, the town was the scene of a major battle in 1233, in which the king's forces were routed by the troops of Richard Marshal, Earl of Pembroke.
Later, the castle was extended by Henry's son Edmund Crouchback, after he became Earl of Lancaster in 1267.